There is hope for the North Carolina tobacco industry!
Published in the CSIS Freeman Report:
1. Out of a population of 1.3 billion Chinese people, 350 million are tobacco users, a group larger than the entire population of the United States.
2. China consumes 1.6 trillion cigarettes a year, about 1/3 of world consumption.
3. 3 million people take up smoking every year in China. If the growth of tobacco use continues at current trends, up to 2.5 million people will be dying of tobacco-related illness in China annually by 2025.
4. Over 1 million people die of smoking-related diseases every year in China, and the number will rise to 2 million by 2020.
5. 100 million Chinese smokers are under the age of 18, reflecting a trend for tobacco to reach an ever-younger market segment.
Sources: China Daily, Chinese Ministry of Health, World Health Organization
If only we can get them all addicted to US grown tobacco, maybe we can offset this trade inbalance.